This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals only

Start learning!  (0% complete)

quiz close icon

module menu icon The risks

The risks

There are numerous studies showing that patients are at risk from errors or unintentional changes to their medicines when they are discharged from hospital or other acute care setting back into the community.

Some 60 per cent of patients will have three or more medicine changes during their hospital stay and there is a less than 10 per cent chance that an elderly patient will be discharged from hospital on the same medicines that they were admitted on. In addition, between 30 and 70 per cent of patients have an error or unintentional change to their medicines when their care is transferred, and 20 per cent of patients experience an adverse drug event after discharge from hospital. 

These statistics highlight the increased risk of medicines-related problems associated with transfer of care, as well as the potential for pharmacy professionals to make a difference.