After completing this module pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of shingles
- Offer practical advice to patients with shingles
- Explain the changes being made to vaccination provision.
- Shingles is a reactivation of a previous chickenpox infection and is more likely to occur in older people
- Actively encouraging eligible patients to have the shingles vaccine is a key public health intervention
- Early diagnosis and prompt treatment with aciclovir can reduce the severity and duration of shingles.