New guidance explains Community Pharmacy Regulation changes
New guidance for contractors in England and Wales on implementing The NHS (Pharmaceutical and Local Pharmaceutical Services) Regulations 2020 has been published.
The regulations were published on 19 October and introduced nationally agreed changes to the Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework. Specifically, the Guidance covers:
- New requirements when a pharmacy business goes into administration (ch 4)
- The supply and provision of drugs under pandemic treatment protocols (ch 5 and ch 16), and changes to enable contractors to limit the provision of pharmaceutical services to ‘relevant immunisation services’ during a pandemic (ch 9)
- Changes to dispensing services relating to the Electronic Prescription Service (ch 6)
- New requirements regarding referrals, communication, information and remote access, for contractors to ensure (ch 12):
- staff have access to the premises-specific NHSmail account, patient’s summary care record and the EPS
- Directory of Services and NHS website profiles are comprehensive and accurate
- pharmacies are registered with the MHRA to receive Central Alerting System notifications.
- Contractors must allow access to any information reasonably requested by NHSE&I via electronic communications (ch 14) and facilitate remote access to services provided by their pharmacy (ch13). Ch 15 explains how these changes affect Local Pharmaceutical Services (LPS) contracts
- Changes to the type and timing of health campaigns and their delivery (ch 7)
- The submission of notices of commencement for new entrants to the pharmaceutical list (ch 17).
The regulatory changes being introduced from 1 January 2021 are promotion of healthy living (ch 10), and the requirement for pharmacies to have an area for confidential consultations (ch 11).
The regulatory changes on 15 February 2021 are the NHS Discharge Medicines Service (ch 8), while from April 2021 distance selling contractors are required to have a website with an interactive page that promotes healthy lifestyles (ch 12).
An assessment of compliance for the promotion of healthy living template is also available to support contractors with meeting the requirements from January 2021.
Safely recommend the most effective laxative for every customer with constipation
Viatris has created this short video based on a publication reviewing global research into the potential impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on mental health. It identifies six areas where psychiatrists can play a role in supporting people's mental health through these difficult times.
Record my learning outcomes
Inspiring stories related to health, fitness and the pursuit of wellbeing
Relief from the nasal symptoms of allergy
With NHS England advising that OTC products should no longer be prescribed to treat mild-to-moderate hayfever, pharmacy’s role in supporting sufferers is more important than ever. This module includes self-care advice and product recommendations to aid customer conversations.
5 Min Module
Managing hay fever: help meet your customers' needs
This module will improve your hay fever knowledge, helping you to understand its impact on sufferers and recommend the right products to ease symptoms
15 Min Module
Pain conversations - making effective recommendations
Explore our detailed case studies to help understand how to advise customers on different causes of pain.
15 Min Module