In an exceptional year, community pharmacy teams have impressed with their unwavering support and commitment to their customers, colleagues and communities, and the nominations for the eighth annual Recognition of Excellence Awards came in thick and fast
Hundreds of entries were received – a record number, in fact – and whittled down to a shortlist of 56 before being handed over to the esteemed judging panel. These previous award winners, pharmacy technicians, pharmacists and industry experts then had the unenviable task of choosing the 30 finalists across 10 hotly-contested categories, including the inaugural Pharmacy Team of the Year Award.
The judges agreed that it was perhaps the toughest year yet in terms of deciding the finalists; all the entries were of an exceptional standard and so inspiring. Elen Jones, director for Wales, Royal Pharmaceutical Society director for Wales said: “I think all the entrants were of such a high quality and really reflects the amazing, community-focused care that’s been provided through the pandemic and beyond.” While fellow judge and 2019's Spotlight award winner Paula Woodgate added: “This year's judging has been really difficult. There are so many entrants who are deserving of these awards. It's a shame we can't give them all the top prize!”
With the final results due to be announced at a glittering awards ceremony on 21 September, look out for a full round up in the much-anticipated RoE Awards supplement published with the October issue of Training Matters. But in the meantime, read on to find out who has been named a finalist for RoE 2021.
NEW Pharmacy Team of the Year
Sponsored by Viatris
To recognise a pharmacy team making waves in the industry and supporting customers and patients with impressive teamwork, productive workflows, shared values, joint learning and innovative ideas.
- Safedale Pharmacy Church Street, Stoke Newington, London
- The Mall Pharmacy, Luton, Bedfordshire
- Village Pharmacy Cosby, Leicestershire.
Counter Intelligence Award
Sponsored by Rhinomed
To reward a member of the team who excels in OTC product knowledge and is highly skilled at recognising symptoms, recommending the right products along with the right advice and referring appropriately.
- Katy Mead, trainee pharmacy advisor, Boots UK, The Borough, Farnham, Surrey
- Liliana Lemajic, customer advisor, Boots UK, 193 Oxford Street, City of Westminster, London
- Verina Matthews, healthcare partner, LloydsPharmacy, Westlands Grove, Fareham, Hampshire.
Customer Care Award
Sponsored by Lovima
To recognise someone who has consistently provided excellent customer care, demonstrated impressive consultation skills and gone the extra mile to help a customer.
- Alison Curtis, accuracy checking technician, Day Lewis Pharmacy, Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset
- Donna Marshall, pharmacy advisor, Boots UK Fremington Higher Road, Barnstaple, Devon
- Rachel Chrost, supervisor, Weldricks Pharmacy, Frodingham Road, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.
Healthy Living Advisor Award
Sponsored by Mentholatum
To recognise a member of the team who is raising awareness of public health and helping their customers to live healthier lives, whether that is through engaging customers in conversations about healthy living, activities in the community, creating engaging displays within the pharmacy or through other innovative means.
- Charmaine Cole, pharmacy assistant & Healthy Living Advisor, Day Lewis Pharmacy, Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset
- Emma Pascall, pharmacy technician, LloydsPharmacy, Rugeley, Staffordshire
- Sheena Sanhye, dispensing assistant, Honeypot Pharmacy, Harrow, London.
Outstanding Contribution Award
Sponsored by Precision Healthcare
To recognise someone who has demonstrated dedication to community pharmacy and supporting customers and patients, whether that's over the course of their career, or someone who has made a significant impact through a particular project or area of work.
- Margaret Ashley, lead counter assistant, Mill Pharmacy, Hadleigh, Suffolk
- Mitesh Patel, dispensing assistant, Morningside Pharmacy, Whitehills, Northampton, East Midlands
- Patricia Murtagh, pharmacy assistant, Harkin’s Pharmacy, Maghera, County Derry.
Pharmacy Champion Award
Sponsored by Alphega
To recognise a pharmacy team member who has raised awareness of their pharmacy and promoted its services within the local community through marketing campaigns, social media and/or other innovative activities, or who has raised the profile of community pharmacy through multidisciplinary working with other healthcare providers such as GPs.
- Abdul Mauzer, assistant manager, Day Lewis Pharmacy, Old Montague Street, Tower Hamlets, London
- Heidi Norton, healthy living champion, Bidford Pharmacy, Bidford-on-Avon, Warwickshire
- Lesley Vernoum-Norman, dispensing assistant, Abbotswood Pharmacy, Yate, South Gloucestershire.
Retail Skills Award
Sponsored by Pharmacy Network News
To reward someone who can demonstrate a sound understanding of category management and who has implemented skills and ideas that have increased OTC sales and benefitted their pharmacy and local community.
- Gregor Main, medicines counter assistant, Right Medicine Pharmacy, Kyle, Kyle of Lochalsh, Isle of Skye
- Martin Murphy, area support manager, Right Medicine Pharmacy, Hamilton, South Lanarkshire
- Rachel Coulter, medicines counter assistant, Right Medicine Pharmacy, Kings, Edinburgh.
Rising Star Award
Sponsored by Ceuta Healthcare
To reward someone who has started their pharmacy career in the last two years and is excelling in all aspects of their role, embracing training and opportunities and making a positive impact on their pharmacy and community.
- Emilia Urbanska, trainee healthcare partner, LloydsPharmacy, Red Houses Parade, St Brelade, Jersey
- Jenna Mckenzie, trainee dispensing assistant, Strachan Pharmacy, Banff, Aberdeenshire
- Richard McKay, store manager, Boots UK, Cameron Toll, Edinburgh.
Service Excellence Award
Sponsored by Excilor
To reward someone who is supporting their community by spearheading new or popular specialist services such as sexual health, drug misuse, health screening and vaccinations.
- Kirby Sowden, dispensing assistant, Boots UK, Broadway Shopping Centre, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Karen Blackmore, pharmacy technician, Evergreen Pharmacy, Kings Heath, Birmingham
- Sadia Khan, dispensing assistant, Deane Pharmacy, Bolton, Greater Manchester.
Team Leader Award
Sponsored by Aspire Pharma
To reward a senior support team member who has stepped up and is managing all or part of the pharmacy and successfully leading a team.
- Danielle Anderson, pharmacy technician & deputy manager, Newington Pharmacy, Ramsgate, Kent
- Grace Atlee, non-pharmacist pharmacy manager, Well Pharmacy, Halstead, Essex
- Jackie Horne, non-pharmacist pharmacy manager & pre-registration trainee pharmacy technician, LloydsPharmacy, Eston, Middlesbrough, Cleveland.
Congratulations to all our finalists!
Search #RoE21 on Twitter from 21 September to find out who takes away the top prizes!
With special thanks to our charity partner Beyond and sponsors Alphega, Aspire Pharma, Ceuta Healthcare, Deep Relief, Excilor, Lovima, Numark, Klearvol, Pharmacy Network News, Rhinomed and Viatris.